As a business owner, the negative effects of bed bugs to businesses should be a cause for concern. No business is safe from bed bugs, an infestation can start anywhere at any time, and these unwanted visitors can be costly.
Why Pests Are a Threat to Every Business
Bed bug infestations can cut into your profits. Low employee morale, bad reputation, and customer dissatisfaction caused by a bed bug infestation will eat at your sales. Once these things have taken hold, recovering your business will require a lot more than a bed bug extermination.
Financial Impact Bed Bugs are Having on Businesses
Property damage, losses in sales, and even court litigation are just some of the threats that bed bugs pose to your establishment. Paying for repairs for damages caused by pests can rack up a high bill, and court fees will only add to it if any customers or employees decide to file a lawsuit because of the infestation. With sales plummeting from people avoiding the stores, your business will be drowning in debt in no time.
Industries Most Impacted by Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are attracted to businesses that see a lot of foot traffic and offer plenty of places to hide. This makes the hotel and hospitality industry a hot spot for bed bug activity. The large number of people to choose from, and access to all the beds they will be sleeping in make hotels a perfect bed bug stomping ground. Nursing homes, hospitals, and even property managers are all vulnerable to bed bugs for the same reason. Another bed bug favorite is retail stores – especially thrift stores – where bed bugs can easily hide in the fabric of clothing or furniture and hitch a ride back home with their new hosts.
Steps on how to Protect Your Business from Bed Bug Infestation
- Be proactive. Don’t wait for a bed bug infestation to overtake your business. It will be too late. Developing a good bed bug protocol for your business is key.
- Educate your staff. Train your crew in bed bug safety. Teach them how to identify an infestation and what to do if they find one. Afterall, knowledge is power.
- Look out! Regular bed bug inspections can help you identify signs of bed bugs before you have a full blown infestation on your hands. This way, you can do what you need to do to eliminate the problem before it starts.
- Preventative treatment. Including a non-toxic bed bug spray in your normal cleaning routine will eliminate any potential bed bugs on contact – even if you didn’t know they were there!
- Professional help. Working with a professional bed bug exterminator to perfect your bed bug routine will give you access to the very best bed bug fighting tools and techniques. Don’t be afraid to get help if you need it.
Is it Possible to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Permanently?
Yes. When treated properly, an isolated infestation can be completely removed. However, there is no guarantee that your business won’t experience re-infestation. That is why regular maintenance such as routine treatment and inspections are so important for bed bug prevention.
Contact a Professional Bed Bug Company
The experts at BedBug911 come prepared with everything you need to protect your business from bed bugs. Our exterminators can develop a fully customized plan that is perfect for you no matter what you need. Get started with a consultation and see what the best bed bug exterminator in NYC can do for you.