Bed Bugs in Walls: Learn How to Find and Get Rid of Them
Bed bugs living in your walls can be a real nightmare. Don’t overlook this area if you think your home might be infested. Treating behind the walls of your home will require some extra care and attention to be successful.
Do Bed Bugs Live in Walls?
Bed bugs will generally hide nearby their food source, however in cases of larger infestations they can live in walls. Walls make a perfect hiding spot for bed bugs, leaving them out of sight and undetected.
Do Bed Bugs Lay Eggs in Walls?
Bed bugs lay eggs anywhere that the infestation is safe to nest. Walls make a perfect breeding ground for bed bugs as they can set up shop undisturbed for several weeks or even months.
What Attracts Bed Bugs to Hide in Walls?
Walls create the perfect environment to hide because they are out of sight from their human hosts. Inside the walls the temperature is perfect for bed bugs to nest for long periods of time, giving them ample room to breed.
How to Find Bed Bugs in Walls
- Bed bug droppings. Look for small, dark, rust-colored stains along your walls as these could be a sign of an infestation dwelling underneath the surface.
- Blood stains. Blood stains around your walls can indicate that you or someone in your household has recently been served as a meal to your unwanted guests.
- Musty Odor. Bed bug’s scent glands release an unpleasant odor from behind your walls when the infestation has gathered. The smell could lead you right to them.
- Shed Skin. As bed bugs feed, they grow. As they grow, they shed their outer shells. A shed bed bug skin near the walls of your home is probable cause to search the area.
- Bed bug sighting. Have you actually seen a bed bug crawling along the surface of your wall? Don’t assume he’s alone. A bed bug sighting is a strong sign there are more.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Out of Your Walls
- No escape. Bed bugs can gain access to you and your home by travelling in and out of electrical outlets. Use plug covers to block bed bugs from entering through the walls – seal up air vents too!
- No knick-knacks. Removing picture frames, mirrors, and other wall decor will eliminate the spaces bed bugs have to hide. Treat these items for bed bugs and store them in clear plastic bags.
- Vacuum. Fight off the presence of bed bugs by vacuuming around our outlets, baseboards, and walls several times a week. Remember, only a specially designed HEPA vacuum has filters that can trap bed bugs and eggs inside and prevent them from escaping back into your home.
- Spray. Treating your walls and baseboards with a non-toxic bed bug spray can help eradicate the infestation when properly executed. Apply a generous amount of spray to the area and check back for dead bed bugs to clean up.
- Steam. Using high temperature steam from an industrial steamer will penetrate deep into the cracks of your walls where a spray or vacuum cannot reach.
How to Prevent Bed Bugs from Living in Walls
- Limited access. Covering your electrical outlets will not only stop bed bugs from entering your home through your walls, it will stop a new infestation from being able to access the hiding spot behind your wall.
- Inspect often. Keeping a sharp eye on favored bed bug hiding places can help you nip an infestation in the bud. Check along baseboards, electrical outlets, and wall decor for bed bugs that may be hiding in plain sight.
- No clutter. A lack of cleanliness won’t attract bed bugs, but once they’ve made their way into your home clutter offers the perfect place for them to hide while they grow their numbers – trust us, you don’t want that!
- Cover your mattress. A bed bug proof mattress cover will prevent new bed bugs from entering your mattress. It also prevents any infestation from escaping through the cover.
- Don’t bring them home! Bed bugs get inside your home by travelling with you from hotel rooms, on clothing, and even on furniture. Play it safe and use a bed bug spray while you’re out and about.
Contact the Professionals
Bed Bug 911 is the top rated bed bug exterminator in NYC. Our 3 Step Solution offers powerful treatment options that can be tailored to anyone’s needs. Don’t lose sleep over bed bugs, let the professionals take care of it!
Having bed bugs in your wall can feel like a total home invasion. But, with the proper care you can reclaim your living space and your peace of mind.